Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Do Not Enter Sandman

We took the kids up to the beach house over the weekend. We just wanted to get out a bit and I wanted to see my cousins.

The weather was supposed to be cool but sunny and after what I can only describe as a pretty shitty winter, I was desperate to let them get out and run.

We did the usual: cozy coupes, sidewalk chalk, bubbles, foot races and playing with whatever they could find in the garage.

Then we headed down to the beach. Did I mention how much I am looking forward to some beach time this summer? All the kids can walk on their own. I no longer have to hunch over and hold QT from behind. He is fully mobile and able to play independently. While watching three kids in the water may pose a bit of a challenge, it can't be any harder than trying to navigate two kids and an infant or two kids and an almost one-year-old who can't walk.

Things were finally looking up for Bean.

As a bonus we saw four dogs on the boardwalk. QT couldn't have been more excited about the dawg-dawgs.

Know what QT wasn't excited about?

The sand.

That's right. The Ladies took their shoes off the minute they stepped foot on the sand and headed for the playground.

QT got his shoes taken off, stepped in the sand, immediately put his hands up to be picked up and started whining.

WTF QT?

You are a beach baby. The first 10 weeks of your life were spent at that beach. Your sustenance was breast milk and beach sand. We are going to take trucks down to the seaside this summer, you are going to dig, we are going to splash. Are you seriously not going to take one step on the sand? I just bought you a brand-new perzonalized Batman beach towel.

Am I going to have to buy a bag of sand and gently apply it to your feet tablespoon by tablespoon each day until you grow accustomed to it?

If that is what it takes, I am doing it. There is no way I am spending the summer with a 28 lb., 2-year-old, stuck to my side as I try to manuever the hot sand with a beach bag, beach toys and chairs all the while trying to balance my giant iced coffee, with the hopes that I might have 15 minutes to read a gossip mag before your sisters make me accompany them into the freezing cold Sound.

If your dad is there for the weekend, I have no problem with you hanging out the house, watching the Yanks, eating Doritios. But if he is traveling and it is just me, you and the Ladies we are going to have some serious issues.

Mamma loves you and she also loves the beach. Let's get it together big guy it's only sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment