Thursday, February 17, 2011

O' Big Daddy Where Art Thou?

The Little Lady is missing her dad. I know this because she keeps on pointing out random men with dark hair and questioning their paternity.

Now, I will preface this by saying that she easily picks her father out in photographs and that I just took her for her 18 month check-up and her eyesight is fine, but the other day she saw a picture of Adam Sandler, pointed to him and said "Daddy?"

I love Adam Sandler, and while he is definitely much funnier than my husband, he is certainly not as attractive.

Yesterday, in Dunkies she pointed to a small Hispanic man with his black hair totally gelled back, wearing dark sunglasses and once again said "Daddy?"

Quite possibly the most bizarre "daddy sighting" occurred in the doctor's office while we were waiting for the nurse to come in. Our Pediatrician's office has black and white photos of kids taken by a local photographer hanging in each room. In our room was a photo of three Asian kids, I would say their approximate ages were 12, 10 and 8. The oldest boy had a mouth full of braces and a super big grin on his face. She pointed to him immediately and said "Daddy?"

Really? Really Little Lady? That is a twelve-year old Asian boy with what looks like the start of years of orthodontia work, and while I know your dad also spent years in braces (and probably should have worn his retainer more) it is clearly not your father.

I do feel bad for her though. The other night my husband called to say goodnight to her, and in what was possibly the sweetest thing ever, sang her "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" over the phone. Once he got off the phone she started crying for him. I had to give her a photo of him to keep with her in her bed. I had to give it to her again this morning when she woke up because there is nothing worse than her disappointment when I bring her into my room for a little Elmo time and she doesn't see him sleeping in the bed.

We are counting down the days.  .  .

2 comments:

  1. I'm cracking up! Aidan has never mistaken anyone else for his daddy...HOWEVER, when I was pregnant last year, we were standing on line at Macy's and he was talking to this little black boy who was about 2 years old. When they walked away, he asked me, "Is that my brother?" Also, one time I was watching Oprah, and I wondered if Aidan knew who it was, since she's on the TV quite frequently around here. He responded, "Aunt Shari??" That would be nice, actually! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allyson, I love that Aidan thought that little boy was his brother. I guess it would be nice if Oprah was in my family, but I am sure Shari wasn't super excited about the comparison!

    ReplyDelete