Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Morning Yang

We have a guest blogger today. Here is a little something from Steadman. . . as always we welcome comments


Two things are constantly recycled in my mind during my hour and a half commute in the morning. One is the quote “Get busy livin’ or get busy dying” from Shawshank Redemption. The second is the sight of a 90 year old man wearing a “carpe diem” hat I saw sitting around the Back Bay train station some years ago. The threat on another full day of work chokes me in a miasma of both disgust and unpure thoughts. Yet I continue to kiss whitey’s ring day after day, laboring under the yolk of a consistent paycheck. Sure I have family obligations, bills, an out of control fabergĂ© egg addiction (who doesn’t?)– but these are not the reasons I have yet to abandon ship. Nor is it the sanguine feeling I get when I leave work, serving as the yin to my morning yang. Nor still is it the hundreds on emails I exchange daily with Sheils, or the possibility of fresh entries on Aileen’s blog. These just maintain my sanity, and keep everyone else in the office alive.

There are just two real reasons that I have not ended this employment nightmare. One, is that I have absolutely no brass in my pants – none - and everybody knows it. The second is that if I had the opportunity to go back in time and change anything about my life, studying a different field or getting a different job would not even be in the picture. The only thing I would do is go back to April 2002 and try to buy the Cinnamon Toast Crunch windbreaker I saw some dude wearing on the street. God that was a sweet jacket.

Now back to work. Thanks Aileen.

1 comment:

  1. Good work Steadman- keep the guest posts coming. I will be back at work soon enough- unless of course the lottery gods smile down on me and decide to save the 2 of us (Bean too) from having to work for the next 30 or so years.

    ReplyDelete