Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Major Mommy Mind Melt

I feel like the past few weeks I have been living in a fog. Between the lack of uninterrupted sleep, the cold medicine I am taking and the overwhelming feeling that I am never going to catch up on what I need to get done, things are bound to go wrong.

Last Wednesday, the Bean and the Bear Photography had a paying gig. It was the second job we had that week and due to some computer issues at my best friend's house, I have been downloading and editing all the pictures. So, I left the shoot with her memory card in my camera bag and mine in my camera.

After returning from shoot to pick up the girls at my parents I had to take pictures of my dad's car, which got a little banged up from a deer incident in the early morning hours the previous day. There really isn't anything like taking photos of a little girl for Christmas one minute, then a photo of deer hair embedded in a bumper the next. But I digress. . .

I packed up the girls, headed home and was blocked from entering my driveway by a truck and a car parked illegally at the Spanish Market in front of our condo complex. I could go on for hours about this place, but if I start I won't be able to stop and I might put myself into such a frenzy of stress and anger that I might start slashing tires.

Anyway, I took some photos of these cars to send to the police department to see if they could please up their patrol of the area. So I definitely had my memory card driving into my complex.

Here is where things get a little blurry. I was having an issue with my external hard drive (now totally taken care of) and wanted to post a few pics of the kids on facebook. I hadn't updated in a while and the Little Lady is just getting so big and cute, so I removed the memory card from the camera and replaced it with a blank one that I could copy photos on from my old computer to the new one.

If you haven't checked out my facebook page in a while you should, because the pictures are super cute. This took me a while and I was distracted by the Lady and the Little Lady and the amount of tissues I was going through because my head was so stuffy. I planned on downloading the photo shoot pictures later in the day and just never got around to it.

Fast-forward to Thursday afternoon. I got out of work a little early because there was nothing to do and headed home. The Lady was napping and I had a few minutes to myself. I figured I should start editing the photos from the shoot, but I couldn't find the memory card.

I searched the camera bag, I searched the table, the counter, the bookshelf. I remembered that the Lady had given me some photo paper on Wednesday and I started to panic--what if she took it? It could be anywhere in her room. I searched her room. Nothing.

Now, I was in a real panic. This was a paying job--how could I have misplaced this memory card? The worst part about it was that I had absolutely no recollection of what I did with it. I searched the camera bag again. Nothing.

I called my mom. She suggested praying to the St. Anthony, the Patron Saint of Lost Items. I pulled out the couches. Nothing.

I knew that the memory card had to be in the house somewhere. I played the events of Wednesday over and over and I just could not figure out what happened. I knew it wasn't on the table because Wednesday night one of my husbands friends from work came by, so we actually cleaned up a little. We would have found it, if it was in plain view.

When my husband got home Thursday night, he looked too. He looked in pretty much all the places I did and still nothing. Next step--emptying the garbage.

Friday morning rolled around and I had to take the Lady to the doctor for a follow-up visit after her iron levels tested low. Luckily, with the help of a $38 bottle of vitamins, she is fine. While there I stole a rubber glove because I knew I had to tackle the big bag of dirty diapers, taco meat, and cantaloupe rinds sitting in my kitchen when I got home. Luckily, I had someone to take the Lady out of the house.

So, I looked. There was a lot of dirty diapers and tissues, but no memory card.

Panic. Panic. Panic.

I only had half the photos from the shoot edited and downloaded and I had taken the majority of the shots. How was I going to explain this? In the middle of it all, my best friend called, I feel badly but I totally ignored her phone call. St. Anthony--please?

The Lady returned, the garbage was put back in the bag, I searched my camera bag again and still nothing. Now what?

The only thing I could think of that was in the house that had moved out of the house was the bag of recycling I had put out the night before. I took the garbage out to the garage and pulled open the recycling bin. I grabbed our bag, luckily there wasn't too much stuff on top of it and pulled out each piece one by one. Nothing. Until. . .

I shook out the magazines and heard the sweetest sound ever, the sound of a tiny plastic memory card, hitting the bottom of a dirty, dirty recycling bin. My heart soared. Joy. Happiness.

I figured that I put the memory card on top of the magazines on the table and then put the entire pile into the recycling bag. I really should get more organized.

Oh, the mommy mind melt! When will this fragmented brain reconnect? When will I emerge from this fog and be able to think clearly? When will I be able to remember the things I once took for granted? I fear, I will never have a complete recovery, which each kid a little bit more of my focus has been lost. For now, I will try to be more conscious of my actions and everyday say a little prayer to St. Anthony.

No comments:

Post a Comment