Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Stuck in My Head

I love music. I love to sing. I have a terrible voice, but that never stopped me from turning the radio up loud, opening the windows and pumping some serious Bon Jovi. The Lady also likes music. She likes to dance. Some days I glide around the kitchen in my socks with her as we listen to the iPod. I have tried not to go overboard with the kids music. We have a few cd's downloaded and some for the car, but I have tried to introduce her to music I love, music I hope she remembers when she is older, music I hope reminds her of me. The problem with some of the kids stuff is the problem with a lot of pop songs, they get stuck on an incessant loop in my head.

I have spent the last two days singing, sometimes aloud and in public, a song from Sesame Street that I kid you not goes like this:

Frogs do it.
Toads do it.
Even alligators on the road do it.
Let's do it.
Let's lay some eggs.

It is a song that is designed to teach kids what types of animals lay eggs. Perhaps it is the early hour in which I view this program, or perhaps it is the fact that I have seen this episode probably five times in the last two months, but Let's do it. Let's lay some eggs, seems a little like a call to procreate.

Also, in an attempt to entertain the babes in the grocery store, I found myself randomly screaming out Frogs do it! Toads do it! I could only imagine what the guy in the frozen food section thought, but hey these are the things you do for your kid. Now it wouldn't be that bad if the "do it" song was the only song embedding its way into my every synapse, but it is overlapped by the theme song to The Backyardigans.

We've got the whole wide world in our yard to explore.
We always find things we've never seen before.
That's why every day we're back for more
With your friends, the Backyardigans.

I will admit it is pretty catchy.

So just remember, when you have some pop song making the rounds in your brain one day, that it could be much worse. You could be sitting at a red light with the windows rolled down, no music blasting, singing Even Puffins on the rocks do it. Let's do it. Let's lay some eggs! to a child in the backseat that isn't visible to the neighboring drivers. Happy singing everyone!

Share with us some of your favorite and some of your least favorite kids songs in the comment section.

No comments:

Post a Comment