Thursday, June 2, 2011

Blog A Day 'Til Baby (BADTB) Post 3: Momma Got Some "Me Time"

Today was the Lady's last day of school. Let me just pause here and get a little emotional. I mean, my first-born finished her first year of nursery school and I am grateful for all the wonderful experiences she has had this year. Although I am glad we won't have to rush to get ready to get out of the house (at least until she goes to her summer program in July), it would have been nice to have her in class for a couple more weeks or at least until after the baby is born! But to celebrate the occasion and to make sure I got to the end-of-the-year party at the playground, I decided to take the morning off from work.

It just made sense, by the time I dropped her off and got into the office I would only have a little over an hour or so before I had to head back out to pick her up. So, with no feelings of guilt (mommy or other), I kissed the Lady goodbye, hauled my fat ass into the drivers seat of the mini-van (seriously, I think I need a step stool to get up into that thing these days) and went and got my nails done. Did I mention it is beautiful here today? I mean the oppressive 85-90 degree heat we have had for the last few days is finally over and there is a day out there that can only be described as glorious. I think it would be a perfect day to deliver a baby--but apparently I am not in control at this point.

Anyway, I settled myself into that pedicure chair with a health and fitness magazine filled with exercises I have no intention of ever trying and advice from Gwyneth Paltrow who lives in her own little fantasy world of how actual people conduct their everyday lives and let that lovely pedicurist rub my fat feet into a state of bliss. Now, I would be lying to you if I didn't admit that I have heard that having a pedi can sometimes induce labor as well--some reflexology thing, but that wasn't the main reason I was there. Mostly, I was just trying to salvage a few minutes for myself without having to worry about any one else. The best part about it was that I had a g.c. from my brother and sister-in-law so the not only was my time guilt-free it was actually free.

And then it just got better when some other lovely lady asked if I wanted a massage as I got my nails done. Yes. Please. Seriously, just beat my back like you are trying to tenderize meat. What a difference an hour to yourself with a stranger rubbing your back makes.

I then spent the rest of my morning roaming the aisles at CVS, drinking an iced coffee and checking e-mail while I sat in the van with the windows down and didn't have to worry about Strawberry Shortcake or whether or not the Little Lady would actually be "jumping in" to her carseat.

I tell you people sometimes it is just the little things, a mani-pedi, a jaunt through CVS, two-hours of "So You Think You Can Dance" audition shows on a Wednesday night with my grossly inflated feet in an elevated position and the Ladies in bed that make me think I might be able to handle all the changes that are about to come my way.

I am a new woman with painted toes ready for a new baby--let's hope it happens quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment