Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Baby Steps

The Lady and I have plans for a pretty busy week. Yesterday we had a play date with a friend of mine from High School, who I reconnected with via. . . you guessed it. . . Facebook. Ahh the power of that website never ceases to amaze me. We had a really good time and the Lady got along well with her new friend, who was super cute and tried to sit on the Lady's lap, which was very funny.

I had high hopes going into today. I RSVP'd to a Mom's Group Evite for playtime at Kids U. I wasn't really sure how it worked, but I knew for $5 the Lady would be able to play for up to two hours and I was hoping to meet some of the women in the group. I was at least hoping to meet the main mom organizer and introduce myself. High hopes indeed. We got there took off our shoes and the Lady was off. We smiled meekly at some other moms, we said excuse me when we got in the way, we had a brief exchange with one mom but that was all. No introductions, no real small talk and not even one "How old is she?" I saw two other moms introduce themselves and chat for almost the whole time, while the Lady and I dodged their kids and literally stepped into the middle of their conversation. Oh well. Next time I am going to take a little risk and try to talk to one mom. We will see how it goes. I am also going to try to go to the 0-2 play date next week, which is at someones house. I figure they have to talk to me there, right?

I am thinking of practicing "approachable" looks in the mirror. Maybe I come off aloof or uninterested, maybe my smile is insincere, maybe the pimple on my face is too grotesque to look at, or maybe they are put off by the cuteness factor of the Lady and are so stunned by such an adorable face they are scared to talk to us. Or maybe they are put off by the fact that the Lady is covered in cuts on her face after a manicure mishap and a header into the driveway. So what if her nose and upper lip are a bit chaffed the girl just wants to play and I just want to talk to one other adult during the day.

Tomorrow is story time at Barnes and Noble. We will soldier on.

No comments:

Post a Comment