Monday, January 13, 2014

The Best Laid Plans

I don't thrive in the mornings.

Each night I think how nice it would be to get up and be totally ready, dressed, lunch made, coffee in hand, before the kids get up.

I have visions of a set table filled with fruit and orange juice and conversation. Visions of the three of them coming down fully dressed (well maybe not QT, but at least the Ladies) and not draped in blankets, only having to eat, brush teeth and hair before I kiss them all lightly on the head and make my way out the door.

Obviously that is some sort of pipe dream. I have set my alarm to get up early for the last week. Snooze. Snooze. Snooze.

So last night I decided that if I could prep as much as I could the night before I would be way ahead of the game.

I know this seems very simple and probably second nature for most people out there, but in all honesty there are nights where as soon as the kids are in the vicinity of their room. I turn out all the lights and get in my bed. I like being comfy cozy, what can I say?

Yesterday, I could have curled up to six hours of pre-Golden Globe coverage if I wanted to. I could have just made it harder on myself. Instead, I decided to take action, stop the frenzied mornings where I am doing a thousand things at once and probably causing more chaos than there needs to be.

Bags with goggles, extra undies, towels and pjs for swim. Packed.

Clothes laid out for the kids. Done.

Clothes laid out for me. Done.

The Lady's lunch 90% packed and in the lunchbox. You know it.

Cantaloupe, strawberries, pineapple, kiwi. Peeled, cut, and prepped to go.

Coffee in the coffee maker. Set and ready.

Feeling of accomplishment. Oh yeah.

I think it should come as no shock that when the alarm went off two things happened.

1. Snooze.
2. Snooze.

The worst part is that I am not even sleeping, I am just laying there thinking about how much I don't want to get up.

But I did and in all honesty things were moving along nicely until I realized it was 15 minutes later than when I should have left.

Then it hit me. I could get up at 5 a.m. and still be late getting out the door because I don't want to get out the door. Is that a little passive aggressive? Sure, but it is also the truth. Do the mornings go much smoother when I am at least a little prepped? Of course, and in all honesty so does the rest of my day, but until I am moving from one place I want to be to another I think I'll take the extra sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment