Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I Was Running

The training has been going okay. I have worked my way up to running 3-5 minutes in a row and have fallen back in love with the Celebreality shows on VH1 and MTV. I forgot how much quicker working out goes when you are sucked into the mental void that is Paris Hilton's My New BFF.

However, on the advice of a runner friend of mine (who came in 2nd place in his age group last weekend at a triathlon--a triathlon? That is swimming, biking and running everybody!) I decided that I should get outside. Luckily the weather is still nice and I am not running that far so I don't have to worry about layering, rubbing Vaseline on my body to stop the chafe or putting band-aids on my nipples.

I have decided though that I am not going to run after I eat dinner or in the dark through the city. I did start out on a hill, which is good considering the first two miles of the Turkey Trot is described as "rolling hills," and I felt pretty good once I got to the top. It wasn't that hard to run up it considering I was dodging the random people on the street. One guy spit on the ground just as I was passing him and then I had to dodge a few solitary older gentlemen as they made their way, brown bag in hand, out of the BevMax liquor store around the corner. I think that was the fastest I have run in a long while.

I didn't run the whole way, but I ran longer then I had on the treadmill. The fact that I wasn't tethered to the treadmill and constantly looking at the clock helped a lot. I also tried to mentally work through the run. I picked out landmarks and streets ahead of me and tried to reach them without stopping. That seemed to work well. I even started to stop thinking about how much I hate running and tried to just find some peace. Or as much peace as you can find running on a service road alongside I-95. I am still waiting for that runners high. In fact, I am desperately trying to find it!

In addition to the exercise I have been trying really hard to be conscious of my eating. I have been diligent about the food journal even when things get bad. On Saturday they got pretty bad.

Here is the list of food from my journal.

Breakfast: 1 cup oatmeal (So far so good)

Worked out walk/run for 35 minutes (Also good)

Here is where it takes a turn.

2 beers (cool deliciousness in a bottle)
2 handfuls peanut M&M's (my love for you will never waiver)
2 mini crunch bars (an impulse buy and not really worth it)
6-9 candy corn (these taste a little like wax, but I still eat them)
2 handfuls of Doritos (My husband's best friend and a constant presence in our home)
1 handful of Tostito Gold (bite size--as if that makes any difference) and assorted dips including salsa, guacamole and sour cream (I love Mexico and all things associated with it)
2 Taquitos (Oh Taquitos, your magic never fails to seduce me)
1 cup milk (This was later in the day not alongside any of the things above because Taquitos and milk just don't mix)
1 cup Aunt Annie's Organic Mac & Cheese (I needed something of substance--and yes this was made for the Lady)

Just in case anybody out there feels bad about their own eating habits, I want to let you know that you are not alone and that even though I ate all of this on Saturday I tried to awaken from my sugar coma and get right back on schedule on Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work getting outside. I recommend having your training partners outside with you as well. Personally, I have found talking to them will make the runs go by even faster than watching TV.

    Any chance there are trails near you anywhere so you don't have to dodge spit, drunks, and spitting drunks? Next thing you know, you will have the Lady in a jogging stroller.

    ReplyDelete