Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Words for the Wise

I was giving the Lady a bath the other day when I realized that a layer of icky grossness had formed inside the little rubber ducks we play with. Apparently you are supposed to squeeze out all the water after each bath, not just let them roll towards the drain still full of water to wait it out until the next aquatic adventure. When I started to squeeze out the water it was accompanied by thin strips of slime, the likes of which I have not seen since the bathtub in my brother's college apartment. (A slime problem so disgusting that they didn't actually use the tub and just showered in the locker room at the athletic facility).

I never realized that without a vigilant eye on these rubber ducks that a mold problem could occur. I would also recommend, and this might fall under the heading of a mommy mind melt, that when trying to clean these rubber ducks, you don't actually squirt it in the general direction of your face. This would avoid not only a wet visage and having to change your shirt, but also would avoid having to wipe a piece of this slick slime off your upper lip.

The Money Saving Mom Makes Coffee

We went to Costco the other day. I would recommend not showing up at four o'clock on a Sunday, the place is packed! Granted we would have gone earlier, but the Giants were on and even I wasn't going to miss that for 20 pound bags of frozen chicken.

It was so crowded that I didn't even get any samples and at one of the stations they were giving away Halloween candy! Anyway, we got in and out fairly quickly and didn't get anything that wasn't on our list. This of course included a 2.5lb bag of Dunkies coffee that makes 135 cups.

The reason I pay $2.45 for an iced coffee is because it is delightfully delicious and it tastes the same every time. I have come to the realization that sometimes convenience is worth the money because I cannot make a good cup of coffee, there is entirely too much math involved. The instructions say one rounded tablespoon for every 6 oz of water, but the water is measured in 8 oz and the Dunkies bag recommends upping the scoopage to 1 1/2 scoops. Needless to say, I was thrown off by the complicated counting and just poured in 8 scoops of coffee and 10 cups of water. What I ended up with was the darkest, strongest coffee ever. I get my coffee with x-tra, x-tra skim, so I like it light anyway, but I had to use like a cup and a half of milk in order to make this drinkable. However, in the spirit of being the money saving mom, I took the rest of the coffee threw it in the fridge poured it over ice this morning, diluted it with as much milk as possible and am slowly sipping it as we speak. Sometimes any coffee is good coffee.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I am glad to hear someone else has had this bathtub duck experience! I am not as patient as you and have thrown many ducks away as no matter how hard I try, my little one tries to suck the water out or squirt it into her mouth - yuck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ours hit the trash too! Good thing we have a thousand other bath toys and she is just as happy splashing all the water out of the tub.

    ReplyDelete