Monday, October 6, 2008

The Mom's Group

I went out on Friday night. We went to a surprise b-day party for the wild man's dad. It was nice to actually leave the house with only one bag and a little mascara on.

I met a girl there who is active in a Mom's Group in the area. Now, I am not looking for a new best friend and I have my own built in mom's group between my cousins, my sister and my five girlfriends. I don't feel like I need to make new friends, and frankly I don't feel like I have the time, but it might be nice for the Lady to be introduced to some new people.

I e-mailed the contact in my Chapter and am waiting to hear back. For $30 a year you can go out and get involved in mommy things like play dates and cooking classes. They even have a dinner night for when the hubby is out of town. Since my husband travels fairly often (one more night and he is back) it at least gives me some options. I am worried about being stuck in the house in the middle of winter with just the Lady. I think I am starting to bore her. Plus, it would be nice to get some info on what I can do in the area considering I don't know anybody here except people who are related to me.

The thing is, I hate meeting people. I hate talking to people I don't know. I don't enjoy calling anyone or taking any sort of initiative. I don't want to be one of those moms with a effing business card that says "The Lady's Mom" on it followed by my name, telephone number and e-mail, but I would like someone to walk with at the park or to meet at the playground. I guess I have to get over my own insecurities and realize that this will probably be good for both the Lady and me.

I just hope it doesn't turn into some weird cult like scenario, where I am going to play dates and Mommy's Night Out and just talking about snotty noses, how often the Lady poops and how I am going to get her prepped for pre-school. I am afraid of a mommy sorority, chock full of creepy initiation rights but without the alcohol abuse, GHB and the long, long, walk of shame.

I am also afraid that if I don't put myself out there that the Lady will miss out. She deserves to have opportunities opened to her and she deserves me to be standing by her side showing her that trying new things is a risk that often reaps the most rewards.

I will let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment